Re: Emacs-26.0.91: switch-to-buffer-other-window runs too slowly (about

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-26.0.91: switch-to-buffer-other-window runs too slowly (about 0.1s)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 11:58:23 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 23:41:47 -0400
>
> >> IOW I think that in window--maybe-raise-frame
> >>
> >>               ;; Assume the selected frame is already visible enough.
> >>          (eq frame (selected-frame))
> >>
> >> should apply not just to raise-frame but also to make-frame-visible.
> >
> > Is it impossible to make , say, iconified frame the selected one?
>
> No, it's very much possible and easy, but if we're in such a situation
> before display-buffer is called (i.e. it was not considered a problem
> before we called display-buffer), why should we assume that
> display-buffer should change it?

Presumably, the result of display-buffer should be... ahem... to
display the buffer, right?

> This reasoning is currently applied to raise-frame and I don't see why
> we should use a different reasoning for make-frame-visible (after all,
> a frame buried under other frames is just as invisible as an iconified
> frame).

raise-frame isn't about frame's visibility, it's about the z-order.
It is quite possible, and even probable, that a frame be at least
partially visible without being on top.

So yes, raise-frame _is_ different, and I don't think the same
reasoning should be applied to the frame's visibility.