Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 14:53:43 +0300

> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 00:34:16 -0700
>
> I'm not sure what's left to test. It works. What's stopping a merge?

I think what is left is minor.  Some things that come to mind:

  . Some minimal documentation (manual, NEWS).

  . I don't think versioned installs are supported, as the code will
    always try to load emacs.pdmp, AFAIR, even when the binary is
    called emacs-XX.YY.ZZ.

  . There's also the issue of the "legacy" dumping.  I'm guessing we
    will want to leave that in the sources for the time being?  If so,
    did anyone try to build the branch using that, and did it work as
    expected?

  . One other thing to try is to build on one system, then unpack the
    binary distro on another binary-compatible system, perhaps with a
    different directory tree structure, and see if everything works.