Re: procedure for creating online Emacs manual?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: procedure for creating online Emacs manual?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2018 20:58:07 -0400

Paul Eggert wrote:

> OK. It is confusing that the latest release is 25.3 but the online
> manuals say 25.2, but we can live with it if it's too much trouble to
> fix.

Anyone should free to fix it, it's not difficult IMO.

> Thanks. I tried to follow that procedure but came up dry. I fixed the
> problems that I found (e.g., we don't put refcards up on the web any
> more)

Yes we do?
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/refcards/index.html

> by installing the attached into 'master', and left in a FIXME for the
> stuff I couldn't figure out.

Re this:

> FIXME: The above instructions are not quite complete, as they do not
> specify how to copy the generated files in the 'manual' directory to
> the corresponding web files.

Not scripted, copy by hand. Might be good to script. Need to cvs remove
any pages that are no longer present, cvs add new ones, etc.

> Also, they are missing some files, e.g., they generate
> manual/html_mono/ada-mode.html but do not generate the top-level
> ada-mode.html file for the one-node-per-page version.

If you mean eg
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/ada-mode.html
then you never need to change that page. If a new texinfo manual is
added, just copy an existing index page and change by hand as needed.

> I couldn't build the refcards on Fedora 27, due to some problem with
> larm1000 (see below).

It used to work for me on Debian, once I installed the relevant TeX
language packages, but I haven't tried in a while.