Re: Running process filters in another thread

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Running process filters in another thread
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 15:12:25 -0600

>> I am not familiar with emacs internals and I am not sure whether this is
>> doable
>> but I wonder whether providing the option to do the parsing(and probably
>> more?)
>> in a separate thread and then call the *filter* function on emacs side in UI
>> thread with elisp data structures like lists, hashmaps etc. instead of raw
>> string is feasible which would be similar to what is happening in Javascript
>> world.

As Eli and Stefan have pointed out, this isn't likely to gain
performance due to the global lock.

I wanted to point out, though, that it is possible to lock a process to
a thread.  (info "(elisp) Processes and Threads")  So part of what you
want is there.

I think it would be good for Emacs to experiment with less cooperative
thread scheduling.  This came up before and was rejected; I should have
spoken up then, since my view is that this really isn't all that
dangerous, because in practice there just aren't that many threaded
programs.  Also, this is a necessary step toward true multi threading.

Tom