Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: gnus-mock

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: gnus-mock
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 10:47:29 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've just pushed the branch scratch/gnus-mock to ELPA, containing a
>> package I'd like to add there.
>
> Looks great!  Feel free to move it to a non-scratch branch (e.g. using
> "Version: 0" if you still don't want to release it as a GNU ELPA package).
>
>> It's called "Gnus Mock", and provides a dummy test installation for
>> Gnus, which you can use for working on Gnus features and testing Gnus
>> bugs without endangering your own Gnus setup. I'm hoping this makes it
>> easier to do work on Gnus -- it's often hard to hack on without a full
>> working installation, and no one wants to risk their own mail on that.
>
> And here I was, thinking it was mostly designed for use by automated tests.
>
>> (defconst gnus-mock-data-dir
>>           (file-name-as-directory (expand-file-name
>>                                    "data"
>>                                    (file-name-directory load-file-name)))
>>    "Source directory for Gnus mock data.")
>>
>>    That seems to work fine, but I wanted to check there wasn't a
>>    better/safer way to do it.
>
> I think that's about as good as it gets currently.
> It's pretty reliable/safe in this use case (it gets more tricky if you
> need to find such files during byte-compilation of your file).

I went to install this properly (instead of running it from the Elpa
repository), and realized that the data directory that's supposed to
come with it doesn't get installed. The data directory is visible in the
repo:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/packages/gnus-mock

But apparently doesn't get installed via the package manager. Is it
getting filtered out by something else?

Thanks,
Eric