Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 18:24:44 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 19:36:04 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> > Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 13:27:43 -0400

> > > Seriously?  This cannot fly: for starters, the user could be using an
> > > Emacs where *.el files are not accessible.

> > I didn't mean for the docstring to say "read the code"; I meant the
> > patch below.

> > > Tell you what: how about if you try explaining this,

> > I already did.

> And I already read that, and hoped for some more details.  Should I
> give up?

No, please don't.

Two things: I explained what I think is the semantics of pcase-dolist in
a post I posted ~20 minutes ago in reply to Stefan's opening of this sub
thread.  I can't be sure I've got all the details right, but I believe
I'm not far off.

If we can't get quality doc strings for pcase-dolist and friends, I say
we should remove them from Emacs.  There are only around 30 occurrences
of pcase-dolist.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).