Re: curious: need explicit package-initialize in recent v29.x

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: curious: need explicit package-initialize in recent v29.x
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 13:27:19 +0000

> Then I suggest to take a look at the code in startup.el, starting
> around line 1360, which is supposed to do what you expected.  From you
> description, it sounds like something doesn't work there.  Stefan made
> a change there 2 months ago, so if your previous version was before
> that, maybe that change is the culprit.

No, my previous version was from Monday!  The code in startup.el looks
fine, given my settings for the variables.  I'll try to track down where
in my config things go weird and will report back if/when I figure it
out.

The interesting thing is that Emacs hangs completely (and I need to kill
it) during the init with my configuration if the package-initialize line
is not there explicitly.  So there is definitely something strange in my
config.

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.2 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.2