Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 08:46:15 +0200

> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 21:41:06 +0000
>
> On Sat 28 Jan 2023, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Can we decide that "temporarily" we will write trampolines even if
> > native-compilation was disabled, i.e. go back to what we had in Emacs
> > 28?
>
> `comp-enable-subr-trampolines' is also relevant.

Yes, of course.

> In bug #60996 Windows builds currently error on delete-file for a
> trampoline .eln file if inhibit-automatic-native-compilation is non-nil
> (because Windows does not allow the .eln file to be deleted while it
> is loaded as a DLL).
>
> If inhibit-automatic-native-compilation is non-nil and
> comp-enable-subr-trampolines is nil then the delete-file error is
> avoided (at a cost of losing correct handling of advised primitives).

Removing comp-enable-subr-trampolines is not on the table.  We need
that to allow users to start Emacs built with native-compilation when
libgccjit and/or Binutils are not available on the system where Emacs
is run, something that happens mostly on MS-Windows, but can also
happen elsewhere.