persist.el vs. multisession.el?

From: Adam Porter
Subject: persist.el vs. multisession.el?
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 10:25:47 -0500

Hi,

[Please cc me on replies.]

Browsing the Emacs 29 pretest NEWS file, I see that multisession.el will be a new built-in library. I'm curious about how this relates to the persist.el library that's been in GNU ELPA for a while. Will there be any reason for users to use persist.el instead of multisession.el? Should persist.el be (eventually) obsoleted?

Also, I see that it's been requested in bug#59995 that multisession.el be added to GNU ELPA so it could be used in older Emacs versions, but the request seems to have gone unnoticed. It seems like a good idea.

Thanks,
Adam