Re: Flymake backends

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Flymake backends
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 22:35:57 +0200

Hi Philip:

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 07:17:08PM +0000, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

There has been an attempt at abstracting over the current API in this
project: https://github.com/mohkale/flymake-collection

Thanks for replying. I am looking the flymake-collection project and I
think that this is the kind of api we should offer to the user for
applications development. Even that one or a simplified version of that.

But sadly the project is not in elpa... so what should we do for that?

Because there are multiple functions the flymake code to simplify common
tasks, but they are intended for private use cases.

It may simplify integration with other build systems like ninja or
cmake.

So far something like flymake-quickdef, may help...

2) Is it desirable to add built-in backends to flymake for common/simple
tools generally available like cppcheck, flake and so on... to improve
the default experience and minimize configuration?

I think that is of interest.  In Emacs 29 shellcheck was added for
instance, and I don't see why other systems shouldn't be supported
either (setting aside legal issues).

Then I think we should first provide a simpler api that we can maintain
better (i.e. bring functions like flymake-collection-define-rx to
vanilla)

And then we can make a list of the common backends we can support:

So far we only need to give a look to the backends supported by flycheck.

Best,
Ergus