Re: rmail and mime encoded patches annoyance

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: rmail and mime encoded patches annoyance
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 03:17:27 -0400

   > Is there some way of "decoding the message" permantnetly into ASCII or
   > something, so that it now longer is MIME encoded?  So you get "What I
   > See Is What I Edit" behaviour..  This would then also be useful when
   > one replies to such messages with inline comments to a patch.

   Not that I know of, no.  MIME capabilities in Rmail are minimal, and
   do 90% of the job very well, but not much more.

   FWIW, I almost never use rmail-edit, and don't really understand why
   it's useful, let alone when a MIME patch is attached to it.  If what
   you need is to edit the patch before applying it,

It is more for commenting about the patch, in this case.  One could
start a new reply, but those aren't presitent, and sometimes patches
take a week or two to go over.

Similar, I use this for longer responses, where I edit the message and
add my reply/comments/... and then save the RMAIL buffer.  And when
you're done, you just reply with the notes you did.

Alas MIME is more and more prevailant, Rmail Edit sorta has gotten
more and more cumbersome to use. :(

   then (a) that is not really recommended, since you will be applying
   code attributed to someone else with your own changes; and (b) you
   could always copy the patch to another buffer, edit it there, and
   then apply.

Doing that multiple times a day gets old quick; was hoping to find a
better way.