Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 06:00:12 +0200

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 12:11:28AM +0000, Gregory Heytings wrote:

> > Just to remind people, Cargo is not a model we should follow. From what
> > I'm told, it is not merely a program to run locally, like Make or ld,
> > but a sort of server.

> You are mistaken.

Technically right, but...

> Cargo is a program that runs locally, not a server.  It works like make,
> except that it may communicate with the crates.io repository, to fetch a
> copy of the source code (and the license) of the libraries you need to build
> a given Rust program, and that are not yet available locally.

... akin to npm (the Node package manager of the Javascript world), it
downloads half of the Internet while building and makes your life miserable
if you want to avoid that.

The new models just make it slightly more inconvenient to stay free.

Can we call this pattern neo-proprietary?

(A bit tongue-in-cheek, but that's exactly how I think things are
changing)

Cheers