Re: Inferred function types in the *Help* buffer

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Inferred function types in the *Help* buffer
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 20:14:21 +0200

30 maj 2023 kl. 18.46 skrev Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org>:

> Ideally I think we should have a declare syntax and maybe an extention
> to the DEFUN macro to cover for primitives as well, in order to have
> these declaration where each function is defined.

That would probably be a good thing in the long run, yes. There are other
declarations we would like to be able to attach to DEFUN as well.

>  But probably for now
> something like the attached patch is sufficient and considerably less
> invasive?

Actually it sort of increases coupling; I'd rather it stayed in comp.el for the
time being. You could write a function (in comp.el) for access. (Maybe comp.el
should adopt the double-dash naming convention more as well.)

The data could be useful for the byte-compiler, too, but for that we would
first need to agree on exact definitions of the types to prevent any
misunderstanding. It would also need more scrutiny if code using it for other
purposes depend on it.