Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 19:29:58 +0300

On 02/07/2023 18:45, Spencer Baugh wrote:

    It might be handy to have an Emacs-specific keyboard, with whole
    sequences (such as M-x/C-x/C-c/C-h) assigned to single buttons.

It seems to me that toolbar would be the place for such things, rather than something platform specific.

Actually we could even have toolbar buttons for event-apply-control-modifier and so on. Then a normal keyboard could work very well.

Although moving the toolbar to the bottom of the screen on Android (as I saw some feature mentioned) would help with that. And increasing the size of the icons...

Yep, you've just described platform-specific UI details. How the Android port implements that (natively in Java or with Lisp using the standard toolbar) is secondary, but adapting to the specific form-factor (and the proximity to the on-screen keyboard) has its benefits.

Eli mentioned JuiceSSH (which for some reason doesn't install on my phone, listing itself as "not available") and it has this on the screenshots: https://play-lh.googleusercontent.com/1rhvZxZHx_IraiVLzqjYHwM1M3lm_HRsTCd_S4VSyEqzr-uNqThx63MtSdrgpDEJBos=w5120-h2880. IOW, a bunch of special keys that usually have Emacs bindings but are absent on the standard on-screen keyboards.

Here's also a screenshot of Termius: https://play-lh.googleusercontent.com/XUYZvSuW9FH9WbwHuZVkhgb5f1Qgx-2WZy_fkQJhziiiA7PS0yw7rywz2vm0RlQCLwSN=w5120-h2880

It also provides easier access to some of those buttons. I haven't installed either yet, so not sure how they are implemented (keyboard hints or not), maybe also rendered in-app.