Re: call-process should not block process filters from running

From: sbaugh
Subject: Re: call-process should not block process filters from running
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2023 14:12:01 -0400

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:
> On 03/07/2023 03:02, sbaugh@catern.com wrote:
>> Since project-find-regexp can
>> take many seconds on large repos, I think this is useful.
>> However, my other main test case/use case, being able to paste while
>> Emacs is in call-process, doesn't work with this change.  Any idea on
>> how to make that work?
>
> Do you have some particular aim related to project-find-regexp?
>
> Having Emacs interactive and responsive while the search is ongoing
> would require a different direction in design.
>
> Is the goal simply to have other, unrelated code keep running?

I merely use project-find-regexp as an example of an important function
that uses call-process.  The goal is indeed simply to have other
unrelated code keep running.  And to be able to paste in other X
clients.  And be able to call project-find-regexp (and other
call-process using functions) from a Lisp thread.

Changing project-find-regexp to use asynchronous processes would be
nice, but more work, requiring more design effort.  Running processes
synchronously is fine, if it doesn't block unrelated code.