Re: Community improvements to the Emacs Widget Library manual?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Community improvements to the Emacs Widget Library manual?
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 05:38:53 +0200

Bryce Carson <bovine@cyberscientist.ca> writes:

> One aspect that is confusing is widget definition with widget-specific
> argument
> handling. Built-in widgets handle arguments after the keyword-value pairs in
> widget-specific ways. How do end users create such behaviour in their own
> widgets? The answer is a function value for the widget-create keyword, but
> this is
> a difficult thing to implement.

What keyword handling do you mean, exactly (example)?  I ask because AFAIR,
`widget-create' works fine for user-defined widget types.  Then either
these are used implicitly (by the widget type you are deriving from) -
or you can refer to the values using `widget-get' in the functions
implementing the widget behavior (in `define-widget').

What I missed in the documentation most of all was an explanation of the
meaning of the keywords.  There are a lot, and I recall that some widget
types totally ignore some keywords and one has to use another one with a
similar name instead, etc.  I.e. it would be good to document which
keywords are meaningful for which builtin widget types.

Michael.