Re: New(?) idea for making backtraces usable: condition-case*

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: New(?) idea for making backtraces usable: condition-case*
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 22:19:17 -0400

  > > My idea here is to write a new special form, condition-case*.  This would
  > > behave the same as condition-case unless a signal is signalled.  In that
  > > case the error handler forms would evaluate _before_ the specpdl gets
  > > unwound.  This unwinding would take place on exiting an error handler in
  > > the form.  The unwinding would NOT happen if the error handler is exited
  > > with, say, signal.  This would give nested condition-case*'s the chance
  > > to output a full backtrace.

I thinmk it is unclean for `condition-case' (or a variant of it) to run
its cleanups in a context other than its own.  We have ways to get
backtraces from where the error was signaled, and if other ways
to do that would be useful we can add them, but I think they should
not resemble `condition-case'.