Re: [ELPA] New package: lua-ts-mode

From: john muhl
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: lua-ts-mode
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 08:34:45 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 19:42:16 +0200
>> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
>>
>> I'll take a look at the code a bit later, but is anything preventing
>> us from adding this in-tree?
>
> My thoughts exactly.

Sounds good. I’ll prepare a patch for Emacs.

> And another question: does this mode work with the other Lua grammar
> library I know about, https://github.com/Azganoth/tree-sitter-lua?

It works in the sense of nothing going horribly wrong if you try to use
it. You can still edit Lua files but due to differences in the trees and
node names the experience is somewhat degraded.

> If not, would it be possible to make it work with both?

Without having tried more than just swapping out the tree-sitter-lua.so
files it looks like it would be possible without much hassle.

I don’t think it’s worth any hassle though. The one I used is the same
as used by Neovim[1] and is already packaged for Alpine[2] and NixOS[3]
and is in the queue for Debian[4]. I’ll see about getting it added to
GNU Guix (which already has a number of other grammars).

Is working with both a prerequisite for inclusion or is there some other
reason to support them both? I’m not opposed but it doesn’t seem like an
important thing to do at this time.

1:
https://github.com/nvim-treesitter/nvim-treesitter/blob/6aababfca4e3d72cb1e8fbbdac4115a5f88107d0/lua/nvim-treesitter/parsers.lua#L900
2: https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/package/edge/community/x86/tree-sitter-lua