Re: Android port of Emacs

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Android port of Emacs
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 11:28:44 +0000

AFAICT you're the one who's saying we should choose one (Emacs-via-Termux/X11) over the other (Emacs/Android).

To set the record straight: no, that's not what I was telling. I was not objecting the inclusion of the Android branch, what I objected to is the way Termux was portrayed. It's a project to which tens if not hundreds of people contributed during almost a decade, and I find the way it was depicted here inappropriate (to say it charitably). I'm the only one who protested, so I guess I'm the only one to think that.

Many people (I believe O(1000) people, given the results of the latest Emacs survey), including (full disclosure) myself, use Emacs inside Termux, either in the Termux terminal or with Termux:X11, and it works perfectly for them. See for example Artur Malabarba's blog report [1], under which someone asked him "Can you see any theoretical advantage that a Native Emacs on Android might have?", to which he replied "I don't really see any obvious advantages, except maybe performance." And that was in 2016, in the meantime the situation has improved, in particular with Termux:X11 (in which, unlike what has been claimed, input methods work perfectly well, and which supports touch events just fine).

There is no need to belittle a project to support another project. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses. Given how my feedback has been received in this thread however, I will not further detail what I believe are the respective strengths and weaknesses of these two projects.

[1] http://endlessparentheses.com/running-emacs-on-android.html