Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 09:38:06 +0200

> Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 6:02 PM
> From: "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org, dmitry@gutov.dev, esr@thyrsus.com, luangruo@yahoo.com,
> emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
>
> > From: Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com>
> > Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>, esr@thyrsus.com, luangruo@yahoo.com,
> >  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 05:28:18 +0200
> >
> > > The rate at whic we have added features already causes significant
> > > instability.
> >
> > I concur.  Have been suggesting to have a basic version of emacs that would
> > be considered
> > complete and stable, while minimizing the risk of instability due to
> > feature additions.
> >
> > Every project should have such aim and achieve it.  Clearly, the core
> > requirements must
> > be well defined, and the scope limited in terms of the essential features
> > to fulfill its
> > primary purpose.  Maintaining emacs for it to do everything could halt its
> > continued
> > development structure.  Especially if it cannot be reasonable handled by a
> > few people.
>
> This is exactly what I try to make happen.  But I don't claim to have
> it all figured out in the best manner

Glad to hear.  Although the comment was not a reprehension, other do have
the different idea for emacs to do anything.

> so if someone knows how to do
> that better without averting contributors OT1H and without
> complicating development even more OTOH, I invite you to step up and
> become a (co-)maintainer, and then practice what you preach.

There are already three co-maintainers, how many more are required exactly ?
And with a good number of others who one could consider as experts.

My focus is engaged in practices within a distinct realm that is not being
pursued by others, making your suggestion difficult to keep up.  You decide
to use what you  want.  What I can do is see if I can get others interested,
who could help you, if you want.

Felicitations
Kristinu