Re: The 'cross' directory

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: The 'cross' directory
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 21:43:31 -0400

  > Nothing broke it.  Emacs never supported cross compilation in the past,
  > since Emacs is needed on the build machine to compile Lisp and dump
  > itself.

In the past, building Emacs was cleanly separated into building
`temacs' and then using it to dump.  We included .elc files in the tar
ball so that users did not need to compile any Lisp code unless they
changed Lisp source.  (Byte-compiling Lisp code was slow and the .elc
files were portable.)

So I think it should have worked to make `temacs' cross-compiling
and then run the rest on the target machine.  That should have been
easy because it did not need to compile or link any C code.

That may still be workable.  `make temacs' ought to work ok under
cross-compilation, and the rest could be done on the target machine
without a C compiler or linker if `make temacs' has done its job.

Does this work?