Re: Shrinking the C core

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 07:50:52 +0200

On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 01:09:38AM +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> tomas wrote:
>
> > https://xkcd.com/927/

Try a bit of lateral thinking: what if, before embarking into
a "let's do everything new, the old sucks" kind of thing those
proposing it would, at least, have a look at the attempts made
in this direction, and, you know, try to learn about why no
one of them took over the house?

This might yield a more interesting attempt.

As I see it, the main challenge for an Emacs maintainer isn't
that it is software, nor that it is a big, complex piece of
software. Rather, that its community is huge and diverse. Folks
are using it in extremely different ways (in part due to the
project's age), and moving something will break one usage dating
back to 1997 or something.

Still moving forward is a little wonder, and I'm genuinely in
awe of Eli's job (although I'm not happy about each and every
of his decisions, but I think that'll happen to everyone, due
to the situation sketched above and is thus part of it).

Cheers