Re: Proposal for 'package-isolate' command

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Proposal for 'package-isolate' command
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 14:15:59 +0000

> Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> Hello Philip,
>>
>> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:

>>> How about this patch, that will use a temporary directory when
>>> `package-isolate' is invoked with a prefix argument (not sure what the
>>> default should be, I guess reusing `user-emacs-directory' is less
>>> surprising):
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Isn't these two loop the same? (save one loop)
>
> No, because that assumes that we are only interested in the first
> package descriptor in every package--alist entry, while there might be
> multiple.

Ah ok.

>>     (cl-loop for p in (cl-loop for p in (package--alist) append (cdr p))
>>       unless (package-built-in-p p)
>
> Also, do we want this or wouldn't it be useful to be able to force a
> built-in package being loaded?

Some packages seems to require a specific version of a package for their
dependency e.g. seq, by excluding it the package may not work correctly,
this is my understanding but I may be wrong. Also perhaps the package
e.g. seq is selected later when computing dependencies but maybe user
wants to select a particular version manually in the first place?

--
Thierry