Re: [ELPA] Proposing to add express to ELPA

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Proposing to add express to ELPA
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 21:08:55 -0700

> On Aug 20, 2023, at 6:10 PM, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> Would someone please explain to me what expreg does?  I am not against
> adding it -- if it meets the criteria and people like it, why not? --
> but I'd like to know what feature we are adding.

It’s similar to expand-region, where repeatedly pressing a key expands the
active region to enclose larger and larger constructs, words, statements,
defuns, etc. I guess the selling point is that it’s simpler to configure and
supports tree-sitter—weak justifications, but people liked it and requested to
have it on ELPA, so I happily followed suit.

> However, to "add something to ELPA" is not a coherent proposal,
> because you need to specify WHICH branch or ELPA.  GNU ELPA and NonGNU
> ELPA have different rules -- we need to know which one we
> are considering.

I’ve always thought of GNU ELPA as the “default” ELPA, so this is intended for
GNU ELPA.

Yuan