Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 22:12:29 -0400

  > Having said that, RMS officially asked Org team to work towards allowing
  > Org to become the new GNU documentation standard.
  > https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87bkqx4jyg.fsf@localhost/

The words quoted above can be interpreted in multiple ways, so when I
read it the first time, it didn't seem like anything I would have sad.
Now I see it does fit, when interpreted differently.

My suggestion was not that we adopt the current Org format for GNU
documentation.  The current Org format doesn't have all the features
that are needed -- it can't do the job that Texinfo does for us.

But I think the Org format could be _extended_ into a format that
would have all the features we need -- and then, with work, it could
become superior to Texinfo.

That would be an advance overall for documentation, and Org developers
will appreciate that Org plays a role in it.

The idea is based on a factual assumption that I think is true
but it couldn't hurt to check.  As I understand it, Org format is
fits into a family of formats, also including Markup and Sphinx,
which are similar in the basics.  Because of this, I think a lot
of people would find it easier to learn to use Org mode (including
the extensions that will be needed) than Texinfo.