Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 11:27:03 +0000

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

>> During native compilation, if type information and n and
>> d is available, GCC might have a chance to cut a number of
>> branches away from the above code.
>
> Does this indicate a tendency where one can foresee a future
> where Elisp is as fast as C to the point C could be
> dropped completely?

No. Low-level memory management must still be in C. And some
performance-critical that uses internals for efficiency.

For example, `transpose-regions' directly modifies internal buffer array
holding byte stream of the buffer text, suing memcpy.
There is no way this low-level structure is exposed to Elisp level.
(Otherwise, bad Elisp can simply crash Emacs).

> Still, I wonder if those typechecks in C really slow things
> down to the point it matters. Maybe for really huge
> number-crunching computations?

As with many other things, it depends.

We saw for bignums that typechecks are taking most time.
Typechecks also take significant time in fib benchmarks.
However, for example, Org parser spends most of the time in Emacs regexp
engine, not in typechecks.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,