Re: Choice of bug tracker

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Choice of bug tracker
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 00:09:43 +0300

On 30/08/2023 21:03, Stefan Kangas wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

The fact that LibreJS complains doesn't mean that the software is
non-free. It just means that the annotations that LibreJS would
recognize are missing. Most of the Internet is missing those. The
overall mission of having JS files come with licenses in some form or
other doesn't sound bad, but it shouldn't be a hard requirement for our
platform, I think. It's not an urgent thing to fix.

I'm afraid that this is non-optional according to GNU project policy:
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Freedom-for-Web-Pages.html

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm looking at the LibreJS documentation here...
https://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/manual/html_node/Setting-Your-JavaScript-Free.html

...and here's a naive question: Is it that hard to fix this, if we are
happy to just hack up a solution, even an "ugly" one?  (As opposed to
doing a clean job, hooking into the correct Gitlab asset pipelines and
what have you.)

Here's the latest on the issue: https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/15196#note_327436569

But if we wanted to circumvent the upstream, I suppose someone could write a script which would go around every .js file in /assets/webpack and made sure the appropriate comment is added there. That would have to be run every time we upgrade refresh/reinstall Gitlab, I suppose. We'd also have to watch out for any changes in assets pipeline (maybe the dir changes, maybe an extra dir appears).

If LibreJS allowed a way to say "we've checked our dependencies and all of them are fine", maybe listing them all in a tag once, that would be easier. But more ambiguous in the legal sense.