Re: VC registered, but ignored

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC registered, but ignored
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 19:49:16 +0300

> From: "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 18:23:51 +0200
>
> This looks good, but I’m not sure about the !:
>
> > +           ((eq state 'ignored)
> > +            (setq state-echo "File tracked by the VC system, but ignored")
> > +            (setq face 'vc-ignored-state)
> > +            (concat backend-name "!" rev))
>
> I know ! as meaning "missing file". How about "i"? (small ignored)
>
> ! is already used:
>
>            ((eq state 'conflict)
>             (setq state-echo "File contains conflicts after the last merge")
>           (setq face 'vc-conflict-state)
>             (concat backend-name "!" rev))
>            ((eq state 'removed)
>             (setq state-echo "File removed from the VC system")
>           (setq face 'vc-removed-state)
>             (concat backend-name "!" rev))

My interpretation of the two cases which use "!" is that these states
are unusual and want to attract attention.  But then so is the
"registered, but ignored" situation: normally, ignored files are not
registered, and so will never have the vc-mode part on the mode line.
Which is why I used "!" for it as well.

I'm okay with any other character, but I think it has to be a
punctuation character, otherwise it might be interpreted as part of
the backend's name.