Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 17:21:50 +0300

Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 16:44:35 +0300
Cc:jschmidt4gnu@vodafonemail.de,philipk@posteo.net,luangruo@yahoo.com,
  stefankangas@gmail.com,emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Dmitry Gutov<dmitry@gutov.dev>

On 01/09/2023 16:16, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I can turn them off selectively in my MUA.
IMHO, this is not any different from how I approach mailing lists - most
of the discussions on ML are not interesting to me and I simply filter
them out. I think Gnus scoring is relevant (although I use different
approach).
How is this consistent with complaints about the difficulties of using
a MUA in sophisticated ways?
Very consistent: people who find using a MUA in complex ways difficult
don't set up additional filtering and usually don't complain about it
(the default volume of notifications usually seems fine for me, for
example).

What's odd is when people who know how to set up MUA filters and
everything produce such complaints.
Such responses make me wish I never participated in this discussion.

No need to be rude.

You judged some other people's workflows by your own standards and got an answer that when participating in those workflows it's entirely feasible to improve them to your liking using the tools you are certainly familiar with (and not just you, but every old-timer with a customizable MUA). I got that answer every time when pointing difficulty managing the email-driven workflow here (I only have a moderately-customizable MUA, however).

And that those other people (ones with web-based workflows) are largely unbothered by their experience, possibly due to not knowing better alternatives (but that very debatable). But they can also customize their notification a little if they're using Github, and a lot, if they're using Gitlab.

There is a dedicated section in Github's docs about filtering on the level of MUA: https://docs.github.com/en/account-and-profile/managing-subscriptions-and-notifications-on-github/setting-up-notifications/configuring-notifications#filtering-email-notifications, though for some reasons they don't mention the available headers X-Github-Reason and X-Github-Sender.

What is missing here?

Re. using Gitlab I already said I'd try to look into settings for filtering emails, if we ever reach the stage of experimenting with it when it becomes relevant. There existing controls listed are here, and there are a lot (perhaps they extended that feature over the several years since we last looked): https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/profile/notifications.html#notification-events-on-issues-merge-requests-and-epics