Adding with-editor to Emacs?

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: Adding with-editor to Emacs?
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2023 16:38:02 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Are you involved in developing this?

Yes, I am the primary author.  Contributions by other people are pretty
minor, or by people who have already done the copyright paperwork, so
that should not be a problem.

> It seems to me that this would fit best in emacsclient and its
> associated Lisp code -- that having it as a separate package
> is extra baggage.
>
> WDYT?

Adding this to Emacs would make sense.  We would have to determine to
what extend existing code should be updated to do what this package does
and what parts should remain in a package/library in its own right.

For example, it would make sense to deprecate variable `server-window'
with a new `server-window-alist', even if the rest of with-editor.el
remained a separate library, or even outside of Emacs.  (The new
variable would give packages more control over how their windows should
be displayed, if they have special needs, while still allowing users
to customize the default, or even to override the packages' wishes.)

I think the next step is to ask Eli and others, how they would want to
integrate the library / the functionality it provides.

An obstacle in getting this done quickly, is that I am getting requests
to do work in areas that I wasn't planning on touching any time soon,
with a higher than usual frequency.  So the process of integrating this
into Emacs could be somewhat slow, depending on how much we diverge from
just merging this as-is in the form of a separate library/package.

> having it as a separate package is extra baggage.

Maybe.  As far as adding `server-window-alist' goes, that would
certainly be a win.

But other than that, this package is basically "done" in its current
form.  Work is only really required when someone found yet another way
to package Emacs, without thinking too much about emacsclient, if at
all.  So I must point out that the primary effect for my personally
will be extra work, and not just in the short term.

     Cheers,
     Jonas