Re: Copyright assignment

From: Eshel Yaron
Subject: Re: Copyright assignment
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 18:35:28 +0200

Hello Axel,

> (The main reason being that I have written a package
> that I believe is a good fit for GNU ELPA:
> [derl.el])

This looks interesting, but I think I spot a subtle (albeit classic) bug:
It seems that you define a bidirectional conversion between Elisp and
Erlang, without taking into account the ambiguity of nil in Elisp.
Namely, in Elisp, the empty list is a symbol.  Your conversion maps
Erlang atoms to Elisp symbols, and AFAICT it will happily map the atom
nil to the symbol nil, while in the other direction (Elisp to Erlang),
nil is mapped to the empty list.  That means that the Erlang improper
list [foo|nil] maps to the proper Elisp list (foo) which then maps to
the proper Erlang list [foo].

If you know for sure that you don't have any nil atoms coming from your
Erlang code, that shouldn't be a problem.  But in general it might lead
to surprising results.

Best,

Eshel