Re: Adding with-editor to Emacs?

From: Björn Bidar
Subject: Re: Adding with-editor to Emacs?
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 00:59:58 +0300

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > You've lost me here.  You assume I know what with-editor does?
>
> I've been puzzled because I thought that the editor in Emacs was Emacs.

It's about telling the external programs to do THING /with-editor/,
editor because the $EDITOR environment that is used.
Externally be it remote or locally. I think doing the guess work to set
$EDITOR correctly in each instance is to difficult to be done in the
individual shells configuration, especially since they don't know about and
can't assume tramp.