Re: Adding package-vc to ELPA

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Adding package-vc to ELPA
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 10:20:23 -0700

>>> I had a look at vc-clone and a few vc-*-clone.  They seem trivial
>>> enough to backport, either as part of Compat or in package-vc.el.
>
> I have put some more though into this, and I don't think adding the new
> VC functionality to Compat or package-vc.el would be a good idea.
> Beside vc-clone we would also need `vc-prepare-patch' and the
> "last-change" method.  What would be imaginable would be to add the
> package to ELPA and make it depend on Emacs 29?  Would that sound
> useful?

What happened to this?  package-vc is still not on ELPA, is it?

I can't see any replies to the question you asked above, but FWIW I
think requiring Emacs 29 is fine if backporting is too much of a hassle.

Note that Debian stable is still on Emacs 28, so presumably that is what
will be available in many Debian derivative distros for the next year or
two.  That may or may not be a factor in your decision here.