Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:19:42 +0200

Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> My suggestion is to [...] create a thread-local copy of
> a global variable value at the moment a thread reads/writes
> that global variable [...]

Yes, if one isn't allowed to break existing code one would
have to do something like that.

Each thread would have a thread space of variables so that
while thinking it would access global variables, it would in
fact populate that thread space little by little and from then
on use those variables.

We could have OO-inspired interface to that thread space with
getters and setters, and all the Lisp that would have to be
modified to first look for a thread space instead of the
global variable, would use such getters and setters.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal