Re: bytecomp: doc string wider than 80 spurious warnings are back

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: bytecomp: doc string wider than 80 spurious warnings are back
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 00:47:31 -0700

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

> For docstring, since Emacs is the one that is going to display the
> docstring, I think code in the Help system should take care of
> formatting the  docstring to match the size of the window, not rely on
> the developer to  write the docstring to match  a hard-coded width. The
> easiest thing for the help buffer to do might be to just turn on
> visual-line-mode, so yes, I think this warning is ill-adviced and noisy

Note that you can set `byte-compile-docstring-max-column' to a large
number if you don't like this warning, or just want to tweak it.

Automating more aspects of docstring formatting is a good idea, but it
is hard to do correctly.  Our docstrings just vary too much in style and
format.  I've thought about it, and I don't see how to solve this
problem generally without introducing more powerful markup, or perhaps
even replacing the one we have now with something better.

So, as always, we're stuck with what we have now until someone works on
something better.