Re: Solution to a proposed FAQ, how to maximize emacs quickly (like `ema

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: Solution to a proposed FAQ, how to maximize emacs quickly (like `emacs --maximize`) for GNU/Linux
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 22:57:23 +0200

On 9/29/23 19:35, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 19:12:15 +0200
From: David Hedlund <public@beloved.name>

I'm not sure I understand the need for these methods.  Doesn't F11 do
this job on all GUI subsystems we support?

And if you are talking about starting with a maximized frame, then why
aren't "emacs --maximize" and/or X resources (and their Registry
emulation on MS-Windows) good enough?

IOW, before describing your suggested solutions, and for the FAQ on
top of that, could you please describe the problem in more details,
specifically for each GUI environment/toolkit where you see a problem?

Please read the mail in this thread with subject: "Re: Solution to a proposed FAQ, how to maximize
emacs quickly (like `emacs --maximize`) for GNU/Linux - Improved solution by Chad: ~
/.emacs.d/early-init.el" to understand, so I don't need to re-send it.
I always read everything on this list.  I read those messages as well.
You don't need to repeat them.  But if the suggestions proposed here
didn't solve the problems you had in mind, my question still stands.

-------------------------------------------------------8<------------------------------------------------------------------

From https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/Fullscreen-mode-on-MS_002dWindows.html

5.48 How can I start Emacs in fullscreen mode on MS-Windows?

Beginning with Emacs 24.4 either run Emacs with the ‘--maximized’ command-line option or put the following form in your init file (see How do I set up an init file properly?):

(add-hook 'emacs-startup-hook 'toggle-frame-maximized)

With older versions use the function w32-send-sys-command. For example, you can put the following in your init file:

(add-hook 'emacs-startup-hook
          (lambda () (w32-send-sys-command ?\xF030)))

To avoid the slightly distracting visual effect of Emacs starting with its default frame size and then growing to fullscreen, you can add an ‘Emacs.Geometry’ entry to the Windows Registry settings. See X Resources in The GNU Emacs Manual. To compute the correct values for width and height you use in the Registry settings, first maximize the Emacs frame and then evaluate (frame-height) and (frame-width) with M-:.

Alternatively, you can avoid the visual effect of Emacs changing its frame size entirely in your init file (i.e., without using the Registry), like this:

(setq frame-resize-pixelwise t)
(set-frame-position nil 0 0)
(set-frame-size nil (display-pixel-width) (display-pixel-height) t)

Proposed new page https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/efaq/Maximized-mode-on-GNU-Linux.html

How can I start Emacs in maximized mode on GNU/Linux?

Beginning with Emacs 24.4 either run Emacs with the ‘--maximized’ command-line option or put the following form in your init file (see How do I set up an init file properly?):

(add-hook 'emacs-startup-hook 'toggle-frame-maximized)

To avoid the slightly distracting visual effect of Emacs starting with its default frame size and then being maximized, you can add an add this to ~/.emacs.d/early-init.el:

(push '(fullscreen . maximized) default-frame-alist)