Re: [External] : Re: [ELPA] New package: dired-duplicates

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: [ELPA] New package: dired-duplicates
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2023 17:45:53 +0200

> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 15:16:13 +0000
>
> >      If a ‘defcustom’ does not specify any ‘:group’, the last group
> >      defined with ‘defgroup’ in the same file will be used.  This way,
> >      most ‘defcustom’ do not need an explicit ‘:group’.
>
> All true.
> But "not need" doesn't imply "shouldn't have".

We decided that it means "shouldn't have".

> > If :group is specified, it will most of the time mean the defcustom should
> > be assigned to some other, not to the default, group.  So it's better
> > style to not explicitly specify the default.
>
> FWIW, I disagree, stylistically; I think it's worse
> style.

You are entitled to your opinions, but it is futile to reiterate them
here, since the project as a whole has decided on a certain policy,
and we ask you to please respect that and stop fighting it here, lest
someone is mistaken to think that it is a matter of personal
preferences, when Emacs source code is discussed.