Re: Inline completion preview

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Inline completion preview
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 21:49:45 +0200

On 01/11/2023 15:28, Po Lu wrote:
Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

The GUI-only users are free to install company-posframe, with similar
benefits. It's not in GNU ELPA, though: still collecting the last
copyright assignment signature.

I hope I'm not interrupting, but the free time to follow these
discussions with hasn't come by me as of late.

There are several shortcomings to child frames as they stand: when a
child frame is displayed, the manner in which focus is transferred
between frames becomes erratic; each frame occupies plenty of memory,
reconfiguring such frames is slow, and particular operations possible
with regular frames cannot be performed on child frames under specific
window systems (such as PGTK, where restacking child frames after their
creation is forbidden).

These are the same problems that I've seen in the bug reports, and when testing posframe-company: some platforms complained about focus issues (which, to be fair to the author, he worked on resolving), and with general responsiveness somewhat worse than the overlay-based popup.

It would really help if someone with experience in GUI programming on several platforms did some work on the feature. Or created a more focused popup primitive which would use native solutions on each platform (while supporting all the same text formatting, though).