Re: [ELPA] New package: dired-duplicates

From: Harald Judt
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: dired-duplicates
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 21:29:46 +0100

Hi Eli,

Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 21:09:48 +0100
Cc: visuweshm@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Harald Judt <h.judt@gmx.at>

Thanks for the numbers. What troubles me a bit more than the speed is which
effects inserting such a large file into a buffer has memory-wise?

It is IMO okay to fail when sha256sum is not available and a file is
larger than the available VM, so Emacs runs out of memory, if this is
the situation that worries you.  But these cases should be relatively
rare, and so there's no reason to fail to have this feature in the
much more frequent case that the files are not as large as the
available VM.

If the file can be read by Emacs, even if it's large, then killing the
buffer after computing the hash should not have any adverse effects on
memory usage of that Emacs session.

I have started to implement the fallback to internal functions, here are my results - it does even have size-limiting to avoid getting Emacs killed, which I managed to do trying with a big 4 GiB ISO file:

https://codeberg.org/hjudt/dired-duplicates/compare/main...fallback-to-internal-checksumming

Eli, is that how you imagined it? I would be glad if someone could give it a quick review.

BTW: My project does not build in ELPA (I have sent a mail about this earlier).

Best regards,
Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'

PGP Key ID: 4FFFAB21B8580ABD
Fingerprint: E073 6DD8 FF40 9CF2 0665 11D4 4FFF AB21 B858 0ABD