Re: Slow completion-at-point was Re: Navigating completions from minibuf

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Slow completion-at-point was Re: Navigating completions from minibuffer
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 14:20:13 +0200

On 09/11/2023 00:11, T.V Raman wrote:
Here is some timing information for this issue:

I added the following around advice fragment to completion-at-point debug:

(let ((start (current-time)))
      ad-do-it
      (message "<%.4f %d gcs %.4f>"
               (float-time (time-subtract (current-time) start))
               gcs-done gc-elapsed))

Then I went to a shell buffer, and from my home directory (it contains
a subdir text) typed

cd te <tab>

Messages buffer shows the following:

~/
Making completion list...
Sole completion
<2.0219 14 gcs 1.2927>

Is completion-at-point slow for you in shell buffers in particular, or everywhere else too? E.g. completion in 'C-h f'.

There was a change last week (dfffb91a70532ac002), but it was supposed to make completion faster. And in your tests, it did (at least for icomplete, which knows how to take advantage of the optimization).