Re: Making Emacs Lisp easier to debug

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Making Emacs Lisp easier to debug
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 12:08:48 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 09:17:14 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 19:55:29 +0000
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

[ .... ]

> > Must you be so aggressive, Eli?

> It isn't aggression, it's frustration.  I have, as you might imagine,
> very little time to waste on pointless discussions, so I get
> frustrated when, after no less than 3 messages of me trying to help
> you solve some problem you seem to be raising, it turns out you have
> something very different in mind, which you didn't clearly state until
> now.

> Please try to describe the issue more clearly and comprehensively next
> time, and save me and others from wasting efforts on looking up
> solutions for problems you seem to raise, solutions you don't really
> mean to use, because you are actually looking for something very
> different.

In this thread, we have not been communicating effectively.  I have
clearly failed to get my idea across to you, and on my side, I have not
been able to relate what you have said to what I tried to say.

I'm sorry about this.

I will examine the thread again, and try to work out how I could have
done better, in the hope that next time it _will_ be better.

I can always try to implement my idea, and then it will only be my own
time.  But I've got plenty of other things to do at the moment, so this
won't be happening soon.

[ .... ]

> > > Then how about fixing the problems there before talking about these
> > > far-reaching ideas?  Surely, jit-lock-debug-mode is much closer to a
> > > satisfactory solution than the ideas of "re-entering redisplay"?

I spent some time on jit-lock-debug-mode last night, and bug #67116
"byte-comp-let: reversing the order of evaluation of the clauses CAN make
a difference." resulted from that.  I managed to get jit-lock-debug-mode
working by replacing a `let' by a `let*'.

So there will probably be a fix for jit-lock-debug-mode committed soon,
whether from Stefan or from me.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).