Re: using ses programatically (was: a ses question)

From: andrés ramírez
Subject: Re: using ses programatically (was: a ses question)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 00:33:41 +0000

Hi. Vincent.
I am going to reply both of your emails from this one.

    Vincent>  Just to make my point more clear,
    Vincent> with Calc you need to write '(float 12 -1) for 1.2, and use
calcFunc-add instead of +,
    Vincent> ie (apply 'calcFunc-add (ses-range N3 N6)). Also the cell printer
should be
    Vincent> math-format-value.

It sounds interesting to try.

    Vincent> Note that with IEEE754 numbers ses+ is not so useful if you are
using ses-range as you
    Vincent> can delete blank by adding a ! argument, ie (apply 'ses+
(ses-range N3 N6)) is almost
    Vincent> the same as (apply '+ (ses-range N3 N6 !)), the sole difference is
that the former does
    Vincent> the summing in revert order.

Well explained Vincent. Thanks for the explanation. I do not use ses
daily. So I discover ses (three years ago). And at that time
workbook.ses was created. From that time to now workbook.ses has been my
only contact with ses (with the exception of yesterday). Just changing
values, not formulae, formulaes has been almost the same from three
years ago. But Now that You have mentioned it. Three years ago I though
why using '+ when 'ses+ always take care of blanks. So that's the one to
use when using ses. Just until now You have showed me there is a
difference. So now the question could be "why using 'ses+ when '+ is
enough even for eliminating the blank values?"

It ended like this:
      (ses-setq :: sf N7 (apply '+ (ses-range N3 N6 !)))

    Vincent> emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>; boruch_baum@gmx.com
<boruch_baum@gmx.com> Objet :
    Vincent> RE: using ses programatically (was: a ses question)

[...]

    Vincent> Have you tried to use in both case '+ or 'ses+, but not '+ in one
case and 'ses+ in the
    Vincent> other case.

Well. Actually I started with the simple case just using '+ and after it
I replaced with the real formulae(which contained 'ses+) as the other ones
within
workbook.ses. I am happy I had try it that way. So I have learn the
difference between 'ses+ and '+. It was a happy coincidence.

BTW.
s/"Compute the sum of the arguments, ignoring blanks."/"Compute the sum of the
arguments in reverse order, ignoring blanks."
Could above be ok (for improving the documentation of 'ses+)?

Best Regards
Andrés Ramírez