Re: Instead of pcase

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Instead of pcase
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 22:38:16 -0500

  > Indeed. The goal there (and in such cases in general) is to concentrate
  > specific bits of complexity inside advanced named constructs (functions
  > or macros) that are designed in a way that reduces the total complexity
  > in the code which uses them.

I think you and I mean different things when we say "complexity".
In this conversation, we are miscommunicating.

To replace a pcase call with direct use of old Emacs Lisp constructs
would make code that is more verbose.  That could be considered a kind
of complexity.

But I'm talking about the complexity of the language that the code is
written in.  pcase code is written in a separate "domain-specific
language", and the complexity of that language adds to the complexity
of the Emacs Lisp language.  But it still contains all those same old
Emacs Lisp constructs.  pcase does not replace any of that complexity;
it adds additional complexity to the language.

I hope that cond* will do the same kind of code-simplification that
pcase does, while adding much less to the complexity of the lsnguage
that the code is written in.