Re: Instead of pcase

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Instead of pcase
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2023 19:14:16 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Would you be willing to show me two or thhree examples of this, so I
> cam make sure those are natural enough in the framework I'm designing?

I would suggest to look at some more complex cases where several `pcase'
features appear combined.  Making these complex cases not harder
to read is important: a suitable replacement of `pcase' should be able
to express what the code is doing in a similarly descriptive manner.
[ I'm still skeptical there is so much room for improvement I must admit. ]

I collected some more or less random examples that combine several
`pcase' features and are not too long:

  ffap-other-window
  menu-bar-item-at-x
  completion-at-point
  byte-optimize-funcall
  byte-optimize-letX
  cl-typep

I can help with the translation if this is desired.  `macroexpand-1' can
also help but of course it's more practical for the smaller examples.

I think it would be good to try to translate such examples into the
to-be-invented language before actually implementing all the details
(top-down).

Michael.