Re: [ELPA] New package: SachaC-news

From: Christian Gimenez
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: SachaC-news
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 14:40:25 -0300

Hi! Happy 2024!!!

On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 00:13:34 -0300, Richard Stallman wrote:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please
> consider ]]] [[[ whether defending the US Constitution
> against all enemies, ]]] [[[ foreign or domestic, requires
> you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
> Please forgive me for taking so long to see your reply.
>
>   > Mmm... I suppose... I can add a customization to show an
>   > exported buffer instead the Org-mode buffer. For example,
>   > if sachac-news-show-plain-text is set to t, it will do
>   > the overall process, but add an extra step to export the
>   > Org file into plain text... or even generalize this idea
>   > to use any export dispatch function... I believe it can
>   > be implemented... what do you think?
>
> That is a good approach, but one detail should be different.
> The variable should be sachac-news-show-org, and default to
> nil.

While implementing this feature around a month ago, I found
some difficulties... it seemed to me a little counter-intuitive
using a variable like this: should it store the format name? or
a boolean? Also, Sacha is now exporting the last news in four
files with its own formats: most-recent.md (Markdown),
most-recent.org (Org-mode), most-recent.txt (Unicode plain text
according to M-x org-export-dispatch), and most-recent.html
(HTML).

For these reasons, I decided to create a custom variable called
sachac-news-use-git-file which stores the name of the file to
open, instead of storing a boolean or symbol value. It is
easier to understand because the user has to set the filename,
even so, it can be any other file in the repository, for
instance: the index.txt. And, as a side effect, the software
may be used for other repositories and, possibly, other
formats.

Therefore, to implement your suggestion I have just changed its
default value from "most-recent.org" to "most-recent.txt" (see
the code at line 120: [1]). The user may change its value with
M-x customize-option to "most-recent.md" if Markdown is what
they prefer, or "most-recent.org" if Org-mode is best for them.

This feature is explained at the README.org file (see [2]). I
also exported this file into Unicode plain text.

By the way, thanks Sacha for exporting into different
formats!!! I am sorry it adds an extra work to you. It really
makes the implementation easier!

> Org format is text with its own kind of markup -- it is not
> plain text.
>
> The point is that, in designing other parts of Emacs, we
> should not treat Org format as if it were a standard.  Org is
> an extension package in Emacs; some people use it, and some
> don't.
>
> --
> Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org) Chief GNUisance of
> the GNU Project (https://gnu.org) Founder, Free Software
> Foundation (https://fsf.org) Internet Hall-of-Famer
> (https://internethalloffame.org)

Cheers!
Christian Gimenez.

[1]
https://git.sr.ht/~cngimenez/sachac-news/tree/0dd98c588a0f4752e17a02c2ecdc98ea214b068b/item/sachac-news.el#L120
[2] At README.org:

https://git.sr.ht/~cngimenez/sachac-news/tree/0dd98c588a0f4752e17a02c2ecdc98ea214b068b/item/README.org#L38

    Or, at README.txt:

https://git.sr.ht/~cngimenez/sachac-news/tree/0dd98c588a0f4752e17a02c2ecdc98ea214b068b/item/README.txt#L97

--

- Mastodon: @cnngimenez@mastodon.social

 ,= ,-_-. =.  Utilice GPG:
((_/)o o(\_)) * https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/
 `-'(. .)`-'  * Usando la terminal GNU/Linux:
     \_/        $ gpg2 --search-keys 77A56F0DA5DD9E05