Re: A new collaborative editing package (maybe tangent)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A new collaborative editing package (maybe tangent)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 22:59:11 -0500

  > > Since there are no shared documents,
  > > what do these collab servers communicate about?

  > Edits made by each user (essentially insertions and deletions).

  > > Why do they need to communicate at all?

  > So you can see what I inserted in the the shared document, and vice versa.

That makes sense, but what puzzled mwthe your statement that it doesn't
support "shared docs."  Now it seems to support them.

What was the intended meaning of that statement?  It seemed to say
that something was not supported -- what was that something?

  > The servers use webrtc for communication, which uses DTLS for
  > encryption. But as I said, collab-mode is not secure right now,
  > adding authentication and access control is on the TODO list.

There's no hurry in getting everything finished.  If these fit into
the design, we can wait for them to be implemented.

What we should do now, however, before installing anything,
is decide what architecture we want to use for collaborative editing.

For instance, is this the right protocol to use?
Do we want to base communication on this protocol?

Should we base access control on logging in to some other sort
of service?  Could we base it on access to a repo which is where
the shared document is to be stored?

We should decide those things now because changing them later
may be difficult.