Re: Auto-suggesting Packages

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Auto-suggesting Packages
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:06:02 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
>> Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:18:55 +0000
>>
>> I posted a patch like this a few months back and forgot about it, but
>> Sacha's Emacs News this weeks reminded me again.  I took the code and
>> changed the default behaviour to indicate a package can be installed in
>> the mode line:
>
> Is it really a good idea to show this on the mode line?  Why not in
> the echo-area?  We have several features that suggest tips, and AFAIK
> they all show the tips in the echo-area.

That is also implemented, I don't know what default is better.  The
reason I considered the mode line is because having the information
displayed persistently might something that newcomer appreciate,
especially when they are prone to overlooking something, especially in
the echo area.  I know that VSCode has something along these lines with
a popup window.

This is how the message would look like, for fundamental mode buffers:

Found suggested packages: lua-mode.  Install using  M-x package-autosuggest