Re: How to cause a compiler warning?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: How to cause a compiler warning?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 22:29:11 -0500

Thanks to all those who have posted answers.  I've removed all
but one of you (the one this is a direct reply to) from the CC
so you won't get two copies.

  > > > Since 29.1, the correct function for a warning has been
  > > > byte-compile-warn-x.

  > > What about `macroexp-warn-and-return'?

  > It is a complicated way of calling byte-compile-warn-x.

Since the warning would come from expansion of the cond* pacro, I get
the impression from the doc string that `macroexp-warn-and-return' MAY
be exactly what I want.  But I can't br quite sure.

`byte-compile-warn-x' has a feature of an argument (unhelpfully named ARG)
which says,
    ARG is the source element (likely a symbol with position) central to
      the warning, intended to supply source position information.

Does `macroexp-warn-and-return' have a similar feature?  Does it use
FORM for that?  If so, it woukd be helpful for its doc string to say
FORM will be used this way.  With the current doc string it is not
clear what it WILL do with FORM.

Can someone please clarify these minor points so I can tell what to do?

Also, it would be good to rename the argument ARG and improve the doc string
as described above.