Re: Excessive use of `eassert`

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Excessive use of `eassert`
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 23:51:50 -0800

On 2024-01-22 06:37, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
In a regular build, symbols with
position are handled differently depending on the value of
symbols_with_pos_enabled.  Or at least they were and they must be.  Thus
in XBARE_SYMBOL, one MUST test s_w_p_e, regardless of whether the build
is a regular one or a debugging one.

None of my recent patches changed XBARE_SYMBOL. If XBARE_SYMBOL should test something it isn't currently testing, then that is a bug that has been present for some time.

However, I don't see a bug there. XBARE_SYMBOL should be used only on bare symbols, regardless of whether symbols_with_pos_enabled is set.

Perhaps you meant to write XSYMBOL instead of XBARE_SYMBOL? If so, I'm still not following, and more explanation would be helpful. What call to XSYMBOL formerly would have an eassert failure when debugging, but now won't have that failure?