Re: Code for cond*

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Code for cond*
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:43:39 +0100

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

> One nice thing about Emacs is that it is quite easy to get
> things into Emacs, so I think you're worrying too much about
> the situation.

I think most people didn't worry when it was just about
pushing cond*.

But when it was then said outright that the purpose of cond*
was to replace `pcase' I think people started to object
a little bit - will this not lead to conflicts between people,
a lot of time spent on doing it, with possibly many bugs
introduced in the process to code that has worked for ages,
and just in general a lot of time wasted on this which one
would hope the maintainers could and would do much better with
for everyone's advantage?

The kind of confrontational "might makes right" attitude that
we have heard also feels very out of place, everyone is used
to things being throughly discussed with a clear focus on the
technology itself.

Can we at least agree on a list with what advantages cond*
would bring?

If we can't, sure, feel free to do whatever you want with it
including including it in the Emacs core source - but doing so
saying before it even happened explicitely that it should
replace pcase - that just feels like a completely bizarre
thing to do at this point, sorry.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal